Kavanaugh Ache

I ache as I read about the Kavanaugh nomination and hearing. I ache as a contemporary, citizen, mother, wife, woman, and friend.

This situation hits home on so many levels:
  • I was a college student in the 80's and I saw behavior like that described often.
  • I am a women and I've been harassed
  • I am a mother who has done her best by her children all the while knowing I'm not perfect
  • I am a mother of imperfect children who make mistakes and who are forever learning
  • I am a citizen who wants the best for our country
  • I am a wife who believes that matters of sexuality and relationships should be private matters so I cringe as I hear the reports and information revealed
The Supreme Court is an essential part of our government. Those who serve there must represent the best and the brightest--they have to be people who can empathize with many while also demonstrating the discipline, respect, intelligence, and care to make decisions that will impact individuals and our country in fair and just ways. We have to choose the best people for this position.

Kavanaugh's nomination was worrisome from the start. First it was worrisome because Trump nominated him, and Trump is a questionable, rude, and self-serving leader. Next, the nomination was questionable since some of Kavanaugh's past words and decisions make it questionable about whether he is able to make fair decisions for all Americans especially women. And, the fact that Republicans are blocking much of the information related to Kavanaugh makes people wonder if they are hiding something. Then, of course, allegations of behaviors that demonstrate a lack of respect, discipline, and good decision making have been shared. These allegations along with all of the other factors make Kavanaugh a poor choice for the Supreme Court. 

Kavanaugh and his cronies have persisted, however, in the face of all these worrisome factors, and so we had the embarrassing, troubling, and worrisome display yesterday--a hearing where both Kavanaugh and his accuser were questioned. 

A friend tells me that Clarence Thomas is a broken man since his trial--would his life be different if he had faced his accuser with a different attitude and decision? Is it right personally or professionally for Kavanaugh to persist--is this the best choice for him, his family, or our country? I think instead, he should listen carefully to his accuser's words and reflect on his past decisions. I think he should step down and focus on his family and future allowing someone else, a person less privileged and more prepared, to serve as a Supreme Court justice at this time.

I'm sure that everyone has had a personal reaction to this event in American history. Hopefully we can all move forward with greater respect, dignity, decision making, and care for one another after this event is resolved. Onward. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Time to Impeach Trump

Be a Change Maker: Develop the Good that Exists

Is President Trump Demonstrating Fidelity to the Oath of Office?