Trump Times: How I understand it and what I'll do

I have not been a fan of President Trump's crude and disrespectful language. I have also not been a fan of many of his actions including his support for tax breaks for the wealthiest citizens, separating young children from their parents at the border, little to no regard for our natural resources and lands, and lack of evident support for education, health care, and apt social benefits for all who need them.

I am also skeptical about Trump's path to the Presidency and am watching closely the information related to that. Bottom line, Did President Trump knowingly reach out to a foreign power himself or by the use of others to enlist Putin and Russia's illegal support of his candidacy? Also if he did that, did he make promises to Russia that compromise good, fair diplomacy and our democratic values and ideas?

When I think of Trump's presidency, I find myself worried by so many images and his ways of speaking. The worried looks on little children's faces as they sit behind him at his raucous rallies, the disrespectful name calling towards so many good people who have contributed countless hours to our country's betterment, and his lack of concern regarding Russia's apparent impact on our election. I remember him smiling and laughing with Russian dignitaries as he seemingly poked fun at our own justice system leader and the way he demeaned the Muslim parents of a fallen soldier during his campaign. Like most I remember him making fun of a handicapped individual and I question why he could choose a crook to run his campaign or serve him in the White House. And I don't know how he can ignore the fact that we have to protect the soil, water, and air for our own lives and the lives of our children and grandchildren. All in all, there's little Trump has done to make me feel like he cares about everyday people, equity, and opportunity for all. Instead he appears to be self serving and narrow with regard to his leadership--he has not proved to me that he is the kind of leader that will make a positive difference, and in fact demonstrates to me that he is taking us back as a people rather than forward.

So what's an individual like me to do at this turn in the road. First, I'll support knowledgeable committed leaders who seem to be working tirelessly to elevate who we can be and what we can do as a good people and a democratic nation. I'll also have more to say and do in my own field of education since I have more expertise there. I'll continue to learn about advocacy and promote good living and loving as well as I can.

I never thought I'd see a leader like Trump during my time, but he's here and thankfully as an overcorrection to what may be defined as a bit of lethargy on behalf of citizens and voters, he is inspiring greater political action so that we don't have a leader like him again anytime soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Time to Impeach Trump

Is President Trump Demonstrating Fidelity to the Oath of Office?

Trump Times: Indictment